Sunday, December 7, 2008

Unmet Expectations

Last night I went over to a friends house to watch the big de la Hoya vs Pacquiao fight.  All week long, all I heard was that the fight was going to be spectacular.  So of course one can't help but have high hopes.  Sadly, it didn't pan out how they predicted.  In eight rounds, de la Hoya was pounded and looking pathetic so they threw in the towel.  The more frustrated we all got, the more I began to think, "When was the last time I saw a good boxing match?"  Sadly, I don't think I could think of one in the last ten years where I was dazzled.  Granted, I don't have the means to watch boxing all that much, but on the other hand I've seen plenty of MMA events that have left me speechless. 

So, with that in mind, do you think that the sport of boxing will ever live up to the hype that they try to create through promotions?  Sadly, I don't think boxing will ever be what it used to be... well known fighters or available for the masses to see (not via pay-per-view).  

Arg!  I hate being let down. :(

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

no boxing is over and mma has taken over. the days of pay per view are numbered too i think.

Anonymous said...

Most of us don't remember any fights that live up to all of the fake movie fights that are sooooo exciting. Real fights are usually slow, methodical, plodding affairs with very few punches connecting at the pace that movies show. I still think olympic boxing - three rounds where you have to engage quickly, is the best boxing. Of course, I still have trouble supporting boxing as a sport (along with TV wrestling, or any kind of violence aimed at intentionally hurting other people in such a blatant way.) I really don't think Jesus would endorse such activity as "entertainment." Long live soccer!

Ben and Alli said...

Word! Soccer Forever!