Wednesday, September 24, 2008

4th Grade Sayings of the Day

So every once in a while kids say things that are completely ridiculous.  I thought it would be funny to post them as they come throughout the year.  Here are just a few of my favorites from this week.  These moments either get me shaking my head with disbelief or laughing out loud.

On the first day of school, one of my boys from last year sees me and says, "Hey Mr. Porter.  You know how you taught us about puberty last year?  Well, I started over the summer!"  All I could do was stand there, pat him on the back and say, "That's great."

After saying "Follow along and copy what I put on the board," a kid raises his hand and asks me, "Do I need to write this down?"

While reading Louis Sachar's Sideways Stories at Wayside School, a mean teacher turns students into apples.  Later on in the story, the kids are turned back into students and the mean, old teacher (old being the key word here) is turned into an apple instead.  After my students finish reading the chapter, I ask them, "So do you think she tasted good as an apple?"  One of my bright kids looks up and says, "She was probably turned into a Granny Smith."  Brilliant!

Lastly, today I take the kids outside to make lists of living and non-living things.  Five minutes pass by and all of the sudden I have a student ask me this..."Is POOP a living thing?"

What have you funny sayings have you heard lately?  

2 comments:

j waltmire said...

Working at a public library, I occasionally hear some zingers, most of them is just bad grammar or stupid questions. Some examples:
Can I have/ reservate/ hold/sign out (pick one) a computer? Correct answer is reserve.
Do you have computers? (this is asked as I'm standing in front of one, beside one, etc.)
Do you have books here?
Do you have a bathroom? (no, I just pee in my depends if I have to go)
I have a paper to type, can you type it?
I want to reserve a computie (yes, the person said computie, and she's about 15)
I don't know much about computers (and then I see them download music, photos, etc., I call BS on this)
Thats all the parenthesis overkill for now. Thanks for the 4th grade sayings Ben.

Wally

Jamie said...

How about "so how DO babies get made?" from your niece (the 7 year old one, of course) earlier today...after telling her I wasn't going to have any more babies...and a couple other questions back and forth. YUP, they do actually ask THAT question eventually! And I must say, I'm quite proud of myself for keeping cool and answering honestly (correct words) yet with as vague detail as possible.