Monday, October 13, 2008

Attack of the Lurkers

I love talking about how people use different modes of communication. For example, my generation loves to phone people to talk to, whereas the younger generations are content with instant messaging their friends to their hearts content. These thoughts lead me to thinking about blogging. Some use it to rant and rave. Others to show off pictures of their family and vacations. And people like me use it to talk about random things that they enjoy. But the one thing that I think I tend to forget is that blogs are a means of communicating and connecting to others. It wasn't until I started blogging on a regular basis that I began to wonder, "Is anyone else enjoying this besides me?"

Then I learned about the blog no no of lurking. (Thanks Tyler!) Lurking is the act of reading and perusing other people's blogs but never leaving comments. Be honest with yourself, your probably lurking as you read this blog right now. I do it all the time. Lurking is especially easy to do when you don't know who the blogger is. I love to press the next blog button at the top of the screen just to see what other around the world are blogging about. But the more I think about it, the more I am intrigued to think of what would happen if I posted comments to all the blogs posts I read. Would people feel more connected? Would it raise the bloggers self esteem knowing that others are reading? Would new friendships be made over the Internet by commenting on a blog written by someone you don't know? All that I know is that I'm interested to find out. So for the next month I have challenged myself to comment and not lurk. I'd also love to challenge those other bloggers out there to do the same. I can't wait to see what will happen.

What are your thoughts on "lurkers" and commenting? Interested to take the challenge?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a lurker!! I'm trying to do better though about that. I do like it when someone comments on my blog, rather than tell me weeks later they read it or have been reading it. The two way conversation is so much more fulfilling than thoughts that feel lost in cyber space.
Jay

STEPHANIE said...

hello, i am not lurking and i will leave you a comment. . .i am very entertained by your random thoughts. keep them up, it gives me something to read during the day.

Anonymous said...

I think some times its better to not say something if you've got nothing to say. On the other hand, saying something that is really nothing is quite an art form. Didn't Shakespeare write a whole play called "Much To Do About Nothing?" So, I guess you could even become famous if you wrote something even though it was a lot of nothing. I think the writers of Seinfeld did that and did pretty well for themselves. But...they did get cancelled after ten years. I guess eventually you run out of nothing to say.

I just want you to know that I enjoy it when you say something, even when its something about nothing. Dad

Anonymous said...

i refuse to lurk :)

Don't with lurkers!

Ben and Alli said...

I understand that sometimes it is hard to comment when you can't relate to a post. But I find that if I really think about the reason for the persons post, no matter what it is, it always feels like they are looking to connect with others. That's why I choose to comment rather than lurk.

Stacy said...

oh, you caught me...i was lurking

j waltmire said...

Hey, I've commented on your blog before. Honestly though, I will usually leave a comment if I feel like something to say, some insight, or just something goofy. If I feel like I have nothing to say, then I just read and enjoy, content with the knowledge that I do comment and therefore, not a lurker.

I understand your frustration though, I manage a blog for my work and I encourage people to comment. I do this because I want all staff to know concerns, etc. about our common goals and objectives. I want everyone to know and share in a public forum, not in hearsay or half-truths echoing in hallways and doorways.

J

Anonymous said...

Hey Dude,
I am a person that leaves comments but sometimes I wonder if the blogee reads my comments. Oh well. Is that a technology problem? Hey I listened to your "little one" song and I think it's the best! I have a little idea. Call me. Love, Mom

Sandy N said...

Alright alright I am guilty o lurking... I just checked out your blog at first just because I want to know what Bella looks at on the internet and so when you sent her a link I also checked it out. But then while I was reading some of your posts I seemed to realte to you on a few of them. The post you did about the funny book some one gave was hilarious!!! I showed my husband and we had a great laugh at that one. Also I agree with your Mom I really like your little eyes song. I listened to it while I was holding Lindsay (the baby) and she fell right to sleep.
Plus another reason I like to check out other blogs is because I always like to get other ideas for my blog posts. (open my mind) I originally started my blog as a way for our extended family to see pics etc. But it is slowly growing into a place where I can express my self too.
It was weird to see this side of "Mr. Porter" :)

Ben and Alli said...

Good thoughts. To mom - I like to reply back to posts so that I keep up the conversation. But that also means that the individual needs to recheck the comments to see if the blogger has said anything. To Wally - You are one of the few people who comment on a regular basis. But I do understand that commenting on every single post is tough if you don't connect to it in any way. To Sandy - It's good to know my song can put a baby to sleep. I'll have to try it when ours is born.

Thanks to all who have checked in and commented. Now the big question is, "Who will care enough to be the first person to comment about my soccer posts?" JK!

Phil said...

I had someone comment on a post "books to read before I die" and it made me feel great. I believe only 8 people read my blog and 2 of those people comment. However, I'm going to take your challenge and comment on blogs I read. Not only that but I'm going to steal your idea and challenge people to comment. Ben, I'm so pumped your blogging!

Ben and Alli said...

The best thing about that post was that some random lady posted a comment on your blog. Posting comments also allows people to see who you are and click on your profile to see your blog. It's a win-win situation.